Vacuum cleaner is a popular home appliance that has helped people to get rid of dust and debris. With the coming up of this appliance, people have found it extremely easy to clean carpets and other surfaces.
With such massive benefits, everyone prefers to buy this useful appliance. The best part about this appliance is that it is not too costly, which is the main reason behind the gigantic sale over the few years.
Many new models of vacuum sealers have hit the market that is equipped with incredible features. Earlier models were not considered as safest home appliances as they were prone to overheating. However, the new models released by the top manufacturers are totally safe as they clearly give an indication to the user about overheating and other major issues.
So, if you are planning to buy this appliance, then you should also know how to maintain it. You will require certain items like replacement bags, scissors, replacement belt, replacement filters and seam ripper for cleaning this appliance. Cleaning a commercial vacuum cleaner is not a difficult task, but you need to follow the step by step guide mentioned below to properly clean the appliance without damaging it.
Step 1: Unplug the vacuum cleaner
- Before starting the cleaning process, you should unplug the vacuum cleaner because if it turned on unexpectedly during the cleaning process, then you can hurt yourself badly. Unplugging the appliance will make sure the chances of electric shock or circuit are null.
- You should also check the appliance has a ground prong, if it is missing then you should contact the company or service centre for repairing.
Step 2: Check the vacuum cleaner bag regularly
If the vacuum cleaner bag is 1/3rd full, then you might not be able to clean the bag efficiently. Air must be passed through the debris collected by the appliance. So, if you wish to clean the appliance efficiently then make sure the bag is not full.
- You can have a look at the line on the bag and feel with your hand to have a rough idea about how full the bag is.
- If a working vacuum cleaner is leaving fuzz, then it is a clear indication to check the bag as it might be full.
Step 3: replace the vacuum cleaner bag
The next step is to replace the vacuum cleaner bag if it is 2/3rd full or more. You can read the directions mentioned on the bag, appliance or take help of the manual for step by step guide to replace the vacuum cleaner bag. You also need to make sure the bag is absolutely secure and all the clips or holders are properly placed.
Different vacuum cleaner models use different vacuum cleaner bags in terms of size. So, make sure you are replacing the appropriate bag according to your vacuum cleaner model.
Step 4: Empty the bin
There are certain vacuum cleaner models available in the industry that does not use a vacuum cleaner bag for collecting the dust and debris. However, they use a bin or tray for collecting the dust and debris. So, empty the bin or tray frequently.
Most of the vacuum cleaner models with a bin or tray are designed in such a way, that a user can easily empty the bin without any difficulty.
Step 5: Clean the brush roll
Brush roll is also known as a beater bar and is responsible for brushing the dirt out of the carpets. In order to clean the brush roll follow the steps mentioned below in the same order:
- First of all, have a look at the bottom of the machine and locate the beater bar. If it is full with dust, hair, thread, debris or other elements, then you clean it.
- The second step is to remove the bottom plate. While removing the clips and screws, make sure you place it safely because many people lose the screws.
- The next step is to notice the direction in which the beater bar goes in. Generally, there is belt on one side and appropriate space for the belt on the other side. This will help you in identifying the direction of the beater bar. Now, remove the brush roll. You need to pull out the brush roll from the slot and slide it down under the belt to remove it.
- You can take help of scissors or use your fingers to clean the brushes. While cleaning the brushes makes sure all the heads and threads are removed. Special attention needs to be paid to the area around the belt and the ends near the bearings because these areas are mainly filled with dust, debris, hairs and threads.
- If you are finding it difficult to remove the hairs and threads, then you should buy a seam ripper.
Step 6: Clean the bearings on beater bar
With the help of your fingers, spin the brush roll on its axle. Make sure it is spinning freely because if it doesn’t spin freely, then cleaning bearing becomes a difficult task. Now you can either clean the bearings or replace the beater bar.
- If you have decided to clean the bearings, then remove it and clean all the debris and dust collected on its outer surface. Before taking the bearings out, make sure you have noticed the way they were pulling out, so that you can easily put them back in with ease.
- Now, remove the cap on the bearings. Both the caps are placed on one long axle, which means you need to hold one end of the axle tightly to remove the caps. Now, clean the bearings from inside on each end.
Step 7: Check the belt and replace it, if necessary
- First of all, remove the cover plates on the bottom, just like you did it before to clean the brush roll.
- The next step is to pull out the belt and look out for the cracks or melted spots. If it is cracked or has lots of melted spots, then replace the belt.
- Compare the belt pulled out with a new belt and if it is stretched out or is narrower than the new belt, then you should replace the belt. While replacing the belt, make sure it is placed correctly.
You should replace the belt after every 7 to 12 months, depending upon the use of your vacuum cleaner. Moreover, you should also replace the brush roll after a few months to enhance the performance.
Step 8: Remove debris from the air passages
The next step is to remove the large amount of debris collected on the air passages. You should also clean the brush roll housing simultaneously.
Step 9: Replace the brush roll
The next step is to replace the brush roll if necessary. Steps for replacing the brush roll are mentioned below:
- Put the brush roll back to its original position through the belt.
- Replace the brush roll with a new one in the slots and make sure the best is still over the drive shaft as well as the brush roll.
- Now replace the cover plates by reversing the process, you has used to remove them.
Step 10: Replace or clean the filters
The latest models of vacuum sealers have filters on the exhaust air, which are responsible for collecting the particles. If your model has such filters, then you should take help of the manual to clean them after regular intervals.
- If the filter is made up of plastic material, then you can easily rinse it. Before replacing it back in the vacuum cleaner, make sure it is totally dry.
- If the filter is made up of paper or fabric material, then you should shake the filter to remove the dust and debris collected in it.
Step 11: Check the hoses
The last step is to check the hoses. If the vacuum sealer has lost the suction power, then you should try to push broomsticks through the hoses to remove the clumps of debris stuck in it. You can also use a hook made from coat hanger wire to remove the clumps.
The steps mentioned above are the best possible way to clean a vacuum cleaner properly. These steps will make sure the vacuum cleaner is maintained properly, which will definitely boost the performance of the appliance.
If you wish to keep your vacuum cleaner in a tiptop condition, then you should avoid vacuum up large objects and try to pick up the trash with your hands or through a broom. Apart from the brush roll and belt, you should also keep a close eye on the cords. If you notice any break in it, then you should replace it immediately.
Cleaning the vacuum cleaner after a specific period of time will help you to deal with several major problems. After performing the cleaning process, if you are still facing certain problems, then you should contact the service centre for repairing the appliance.